Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Punchapaadam
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Virat Kohli ........ Dawn Of A New Sensation......

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Rambo Raghavan

Rambo Raghavan

Nokkukutti

• VIP Members
  • 4,239 posts
  • Interests:Cricket, Movies, Girls, Music......
  • Current: Country Flag
Posted Image

A typical modern-day cricketer, Virat Kohli plays his game aggressively, bares his emotions loudly in public, yet retains the element of maturity that forms an integral part of every good and great player. Anil Kumble said he had thought hard before calling Kohli the best under-22 player in international cricket - that would rate as perhaps the best compliments he has received. It is also proof of Kohli's transformation as a player.

Edited by chlonvolsky, 29 March 2012 - 07:50 AM.

• ChullaN Zild and Shavakkotta Shambhu like this

Users Awards

Rambo Raghavan

Rambo Raghavan

Nokkukutti

• VIP Members
  • 4,239 posts

Full name Virat Kohli

Born November 5, 1988, Delhi

Current age 23 years 145 days

Major teams India, Delhi, India Red, India Under-19s,Royal Challengers Bangalore

Playing role Middle-order batsman

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm medium

Users Awards

Rambo Raghavan

Rambo Raghavan

Nokkukutti

• VIP Members
  • 4,239 posts
Posted Image

Virat Kohli is pumped up after reaching his third hundred in four ODIs, India v Pakistan, Asia Cup, Mirpur, March 18, 2012

Users Awards

Rambo Raghavan

Rambo Raghavan

Nokkukutti

• VIP Members
  • 4,239 posts
The master of the chase

Virat Kohli's adaptability is a key strength that's helped him play such a critical role in helping India overhaul big totals

"I really like playing on this ground," Virat Kohli had said earlier this week, after being named Man of the Match for his 108 against Sri Lanka. On Sunday, he added another compelling reason for him to love the Shere Bangla National Stadium. His 183 against a top-quality Pakistan attack, in a high-pressure match in front of a packed house, was his fourth hundred at the venue. It also orchestrated India's largest successful ODI pursuit, and underlined his credentials as a master of the chase.

From the early days of his international career, he has shown his excellence as a chase artist. His first ODI century came in a little-remembered series of the many against Sri Lanka in recent years, stabilising India after the early loss of Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar before helping them power through to a target of 316 with seven wickets remaining. He did something similar, though to a smaller extent, in the biggest match of his career to date, the World Cup final.

Having made his debut in 2008, he was still struggling to stand out among the muddle of competitors for a middle-order spot in the Indian team till late 2010. That's when he conjured another of his now regular centuries after India had been set a large target, against Australia in Visakhapatnam. It kickstarted an extraordinarily fertile spell, and he hasn't missed a match since. The numbers he's stacking up are staggering: in 48 innings batting second, he averages 58.40 and has seven hundreds and 13 half-centuries.

Less than three weeks ago, Kohli masterminded a miraculous chase against Sri Lanka in Hobart, through an unbeaten 86-ball 133 in a crunch match. He had called it his best innings, but now, there's a new contender for that title.

Back in 2005, MS Dhoni had taken a step towards superstardom with a 183 of his own, against Sri Lanka in Jaipur. What that innings is most remembered for is the sustained brute-force hitting - Dhoni had clubbed 10 sixes in an innings that lasted 145 deliveries. Kohli's effort on Sunday consumed just three deliveries more, but didn't contain that kind of violence.

For a 15-over spell till the start of the batting Powerplay, Kohli didn't even hit a boundary, relying more on his favourite way of building through the middle overs - the risk-free single down the ground. The entire innings contained only one six, an effortless hit that crashed into the hoarding beyond extra cover. One of his trademark strokes, the whip off his pads to send the ball anywhere between backward square leg and midwicket, made a frequent appearance and fetched him a lot of boundaries.

Even as late as the 40th over, he was coasting along at little more than a run-a-ball. Only at that stage did Kohli unleash a boundary-barrage with which Pakistan's hopes completely evaporated. For the second time in a month, India had chased down 300-plus comfortably and they had hardly needed the services of Dhoni, the finest finisher in the game.

What makes Kohli so dangerous is the adaptability of his game, something which Dhoni has also developed over the years. He can be the quiet workhorse, picking off the singles through the middle overs, or unfurl a Twenty20-style boundary spree. The ability to effortlessly mould his game to the match situation and the cool head to deal with the ever-present pressure of the asking-rate have been critical to his second-innings successes.

The flexible playing style also makes him an ideal No. 3, capable of taking the baton after a cracking start or providing the ballast in case of early losses. "Batting at No.3 is a very important position for the team. I value my wicket much more now," he said after the match, on a day when his one-day average breached 50. "I know if I get set, get a good platform for myself, then I can score more and help the team. As I said earlier it is [about] taking the game as close as possible. If one guy is doing very well at the other end, then I play a different role."

Many are put off by his invective-laden century celebrations, of which there was one more display in Mirpur, and the tattoos and the bling, but after an ultra-successful year and a half, few will be questioning his expertise at pacing a chase, or his position among the leading one-day batsmen around.

Users Awards

Rambo Raghavan

Rambo Raghavan

Nokkukutti

• VIP Members
  • 4,239 posts
Posted Image

Virat Kohli at a training session

Users Awards

Rambo Raghavan

Rambo Raghavan

Nokkukutti

• VIP Members
  • 4,239 posts
Posted Image

Virat Kohli is ecstatic after registering his first Test ton, Australia v India, 4th Test, Adelaide, 3rd day, January 26, 2012

Users Awards

Rambo Raghavan

Rambo Raghavan

Nokkukutti

• VIP Members
  • 4,239 posts

Virat lets it whirl

RCB batsman faces 20 bouncers in style

Posted Image

Currently, he’s the most dazzling star in the glittering galaxy of Indian batsmen. His on-field aggression matches his flamboyance off the field. He’s passionate about the game and plays it with unrivalled intensity. Away from the cricket field, he’s just another 23-year-old who loves fast cars, trendy clothes and latest gadgets. Royal Challengers Bangalore’s Virat Kohli is the latest cricketing youth icon of India.

During his fun-filled chat with www.iplt20, he was as free-flowing as some of his exquisite cover drives. Here are the 20 things about the new poster boy of Indian cricket you might not have known.

1. My favourite cuisine is Chinese. I love dim sum in particular.

2. My favourite beverage is orange juice

3. My favourite movie has to be Rocky. I think it’s the best motivational movie ever, not only for sportspeople but people from any field.

4. My favourite non-cricketing sportsperson is Roger Federer. The kind of consistency he’s maintained over a long period of time, winning so many grand slams back-to-back, is really amazing.

5. I love R&B and Punjabi music. My current favourite R&B artist is Bruno Mars; I really like his singing. In Punjabi, it has to be Rishi Rich and RDB.

6. My favourite gadget is my Playstation 3. I just love it.

7. My current dream vehicle is the Audi R8.

8. My mantra in life is live life everyday and don’t think too far ahead in the future. Just live every moment.

9. One thing I cannot do without is my Blackberry.

10. My idol is Sachin Tendulkar. More than his on-field exploits, I love the way he carries himself over the field. I know many people have said that over the years. But to get to know him personally and see the child in him still wanting to learn everyday with so much of genuineness; there’s nothing fake about his enthusiasm. That’s something that amazes me a lot.

11. Being stylish is all about wearing what you feel like on any occasion. Don’t go with the trends too much and just wear what you are confident you carry off.

12. I have a lot of good friends in cricket but I’m the closest to Yuvraj Singh. I met him first when I was playing a Deodhar Trophy game for North Zone, which he had come to watch. He had seen me play in the Under-19 World Cup [in 2007]. I was really shy to go up to him and talk. He was sweet enough to walk up to me for a chat. We spoke about the game and life in general. We bonded instantly and since then have remained great friends. He’s like an elder brother to me. I seek his advice whenever I’m confused about something because he’s seen a lot in cricket. He’s always given me the best advice possible and it’s been a wonderful friendship with him.

13. The toughest bowler I’ve faced till date is Saeed Ajmal because he’s very skilled and has a lot of control over his bowling, which is really difficult to deal with. He’s the toughest right now.

14. The easiest bowler I’ve faced is MS Dhoni in the nets.

15. My most memorable cricketing moment is the 2011 World Cup win and then the century against Pakistan [183 in a 2012 Asia Cup match]

16. My most embarrassing moment on the cricket field was when my pants came off in Bangladesh once. There’s also a video on the net. I don’t think anything can get more embarrassing than that.

17. If I weren’t a cricketer, I’d probably be involved in my family business with my brother or [would] have worked at the ONGC. Honestly, I don’t see myself doing anything apart from cricket for a long, long time.

18. I love to play the flick shot. It comes naturally to me; the body movements are natural. Whenever I need to play a release shot, it has to be the flick.

19. If I were granted one super power, I’d ask for the ability to fly because there’s a lot of traffic problem in India and I hate being stuck in the traffic. So, I’d love to fly and reach everywhere quickly.

20. If I were invisible for a day, I’d roam around in the busiest mall in the city openly. That’s something we cricketers cannot do in India.

• Shavakkotta Shambhu likes this

Users Awards

Shavakkotta Shambhu

Shavakkotta Shambhu

Spokesperson of PP

• CO ADMIN
  • 33,538 posts
:thanks: chellappa .. good work.. Instead of keeping a seperate topic for all.. lets start one topic..
Enittu oro diavsamo aazhachayilo oraaludey complete history or statitics ittu namukku Indexil update cheythu pokaaam :yes:

athalley korachu koodi nallathu.. Topicinoru standard ondaakum... wht do u say ???

"Cricket Mirror ... Know all about your Cricket Star" Enna Title idaaam :think:

Users Awards

Bolt Vinu

Bolt Vinu

Support Staff - PP

• CO ADMIN
  • 22,950 posts
  • Interests:PunchaPaadam
:good: work chlon pakshe archith paranja pole oru playerne thanne ithreyum topics undakkano then we will be flooded with so many topics.... instead if u make one good topic and consolidate all in one topic it wil be very useful for others too to read and enjoy.... :mmm:

Users Awards

Rambo Raghavan

Rambo Raghavan

Nokkukutti

• VIP Members
  • 4,239 posts
Sachin Tendulkar is the reason I started playing cricket: Virat Kohli

MUMBAI: "Sachin Tendulkar is the reason I started playing" -- said India's most promising batting talent right now,

Virat Kohli

, as he paid tribute to the senior batsman for completing a century of international hundreds.

At a felicitation function organised by industrialist and IPL team Mumbai Indians' owner Mukesh Ambani, Kohli was asked to give his thoughts on the 39-year-old, who completed the incredible feat during the recent Asia Cup inBangladesh.

The 23-year-old right-hander, who is in the form of his life having scored three hundreds in his past four one-dayers, said as a child he only dreamed of catching a glimpse of Tendulkar in person.

"He is the reason why I have started playing cricket. Like me I think most of the youngsters in the India started playing cricket because of him," Virat said as Tendulkar looked back at him smiling.

"Now it is just a great honour to share the same dressing room with him. I remember when I was small, my only dream was to see him in real life and to play with him now is just a great honour for me. I couldn't have asked for anything more," he added.

Tendulkar too is quite impressed with the spunky batsman and has stated that he could be the one breaking the 100 centuries record apart from another promising name -- Rohit Sharma.

• Thanthonni GulaN likes this

Users Awards

KT Mirash

KT Mirash

Nokkukutti

• VIP Members
  • 4,555 posts
Kholi is Great :adiyan:

Rambo Raghavan

Rambo Raghavan

Nokkukutti

• VIP Members
  • 4,239 posts
Let us salute Virat Kohli

They are bursting crackers all over Delhi. Team India has pulled off a record run chase against Pakistan. And there’s just one man to salute tonight: Virat Kohli.

What an innings under pressure! Some of the shots he played were simply jaw-dropping. Power, placement, timing, fitness and, most importantly, temperament – he displayed it all. The three consecutive boundaries he scored off Wahab Riaz will stay for long in memory. His 183 is the highest individual score against Pakistan by any batsman in an ODI, and that means something.

Kohli was the only batsman who read Saeed Ajmal correctly. That’s what changed the game’s outcome. Barring one delivery that was edged for a four, he read every doosra or teesra that the Pakistan spinner offered. Judging by his consistency, he is definitely India’s premier ODI batsman now. The Force is with him. Even his flying bat missed the stumps!

Tendulkar, freed from the crushing burden of expectation over his 100th international ton, also batted with elegance and authority. His improvised six over the wicketkeeper’s head was sheer class. But he also looked quite vulnerable against Ajmal. Can’t figure out why Pakistan held back their best bowler for so long?

For once, Rohit Sharma too had a good game. He knows how to hit sixes and fours but he should also learn how to take singles. And finish games.

But India still has plenty of rough spots to iron out. I am aware that the Mirpur pitch was a batting paradise. But this is also our weakest bowling attack in recent memory. In one word, it is toothless. Praveen Kumar is increasingly having more and more off-days. Earlier he used to to take wickets regularly in his first spell. He seems to have lost that art. And Irfan Pathan simply isn’t good enough in unhelpful conditions. Only Ashok Dinda impressed the commentators with his character and attitude. His entire quota of 10 overs was spread over three Power Plays. Yet he was among our more economical bowlers.

I am not going to blame the selectors for this mess. What do they do, if the captain keeps on playing his favourite 11 game after game? Just look at the team that played against Sri Lanka in the opening game – all the failures of the Commonwealth Bank triseries were persisted with. MS Dhoni makes changes only when he is forced to, following injuries. That’s how Dinda and Yusuf Pathan got their chances.

We must not overlook the way Dhoni is running the team. It appears it is very easy for some players to find a place in the playing 11. And it is very difficult for others to get a game. Players like Ravindra Jadeja have been given unlimited chances. Jadeja has to succeed in only one game to be retained for the next five. The captain seems to have touching faith in the ability of a player whose core competence is primarily fielding – he is a bits and pieces batsman and bowler, ideal for IPL maybe but not for ODIs.

Manoj Tiwary, despite an unbeaten century in his last outing, keeps travelling from one country to another without a game. Is that fair? Don’t forget, he is also one of India’s finest fielders.

Rahul Sharma’s case is equally strange. Before he got injured in the Commonwealth Bank triseries, he was shaping up as a good ODI spinner. But ever since he has recovered, he hasn’t even got a single opportunity. That’s despite an average bowling performance from R Ashwin. By the way, Ashwin is definitely India’s worst fielder.

A couple of stunning catches in the field notwithstanding, India looked jaded in the outfield. There were too many misfields. At least 20 runs were lost to loose fielding.

Pakistan too batted exceptionally well. But they have already qualified for the final, more or less. This was not a do-or-die game for them. And it showed in their bowling and fielding. They lacked passion.

For the moment, though, let us just celebrate Kohli’s great innings. Now barring the totally unexpected, we should be playing Pakistan again in the final on Thursday. What a mouth-watering Asia Cup final that would be!

Users Awards

LiNeMan LoNapPan

LiNeMan LoNapPan

Nokkukutti

• Premium Member
  • 6,829 posts
kohli.. :yes:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users