Toggle Scoreboard
ibProArcade Scoreboard

Kaappiri KuttaN has obtained a high score of 50 Today, 07:13 PM Playing Ball Lifting Play Now!                SimoN KD has obtained a high score of 552 Today, 02:22 PM Playing UNO 3 Play Now!                sajujay has obtained a high score of 11838173 Today, 10:50 AM Playing Candy Crush Saga Play Now!                Purushu Pattalam has obtained a high score of 52721 Jul 25 2017 04:56 PM Playing Elements Unite Play Now!                sajujay has obtained a high score of 192295 Jul 25 2017 10:28 AM Playing Elements Unite Play Now!                
Photo

Sweety's Recipe Corner

• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#1 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional
  • Current: Country Flag

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:20 AM

Posted Image

There is a small restaurant in Vadapalani, Chennai(Madras ) Called the R.R.Salem restaurant and per Nirmal ,they are supposed to make the best shrimp fry in town. Imagine my plight " for 3 yrs now the only thing I have been hearing is ‘my mother makes this well..’, ‘my mother makes this differently..’, 'my mother is the better cook' " after having exhausted myself competing with my M.I.L, now I am being compared to some 'lungi clad' cook in remote Chennai who specializes in kothu parota and shrimp fry.
So today was a throwdown between apron_clad_me and my lungi_clad_friend. And I won by letting my 5 month daughter decide the winner " she voted for ‘Ma’ !!!!
Now, shrimp fry can probably be made in ten different ways. But what makes it difficult in the U.S is the shrimp we get in the U.S is of the larger variety and different in taste to the smaller shrimps we get in India. Which means you will have to make good the loss in taste with your masala and preparation method.
Here is a recipe that works!
THINGS U NEED:
To Marinate:
  • Shrimp - 1 lb
  • Chilli powder - 3 tbs
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Coriander powder - 1 tsp
  • Fenugreek powder - 1/4 tsp
  • Lemon juice - from 1 lemon
  • Fresh ground black pepper - 2 tsp
  • Salt to taste
To Chop:
  • Onion - 1 big ( chop finely)
  • Coconut pieces - 3 tbs
& U Need
  • Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
  • Fennel seeds - 1 tsp ( Crush coarsely using a stone pestle )
  • Dried red chillies - 4
  • Oil - 3 tbs
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
  • Cilantro and curry leaves
METHOD:

• Make a paste with the ingredients in the" to marinate" section. Clean the shrimp and marinate it.Let it marinate for 2 hrs in the refrigerator. Finely chop the onion and coconut pieces . Heat oil in a pan,splutter mustard and add the chopped ingredients.Put the red chilly pieces in to it and fry .Add the ginger & garlic paste and fry untill the raw smell goes.Now add the marinated shrimp and cook. Don't add any water as the shrimp has a better moisture content. Now add freshly crushed fennel seeds and fry the shrimp until done.Add the chopped cilantro and fresh curry leaves at the end and serve hot.
Posted Image

NOTES:
  • Finely chop the coconut pieces as u would chop a piece of ginger.Make sure u remove the black portion from the coconut pieces.It is not recomented to add grated coconut insted .
  • Add /reduce the amount of chilli powder according to personal preferences.

#2 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:27 AM

Posted Image

How many times have you walked into a restaurant and ordered an entrée that had its name from a U.S city â€" like New Orleans seafood or a New York steak. Call it an original recipe or a marketing stint, there always is some history that links the particular cuisine to a city or town.
My entry this week is titled Columbian Retreat™ because every time I cook this dish, the topic on the dinner table is always the life we had then. A small sleepy university town, Columbia (SC) was my first home in the U.S. Nirmal was doing his masters back then.Living a student life, Every thing from gas to groceries were on budget and each penny was treasured. But again being the first months after marriage, there was this constant urge to please your husband (Nirmal now complains that we need to go back to Columbia to find that lost urge â€" he thinks we lost it while moving!!!). So when it came to fish, the only affordable fish was the Tuna in water that came in small cans and sold for $2.99 each. So I would take tuna and make 10 different versions of the fish curry to please Nirmal. Tuna therefore became the poor man’s version of the Alapuzha_fish curry, Chemeen peera, Mathi Mulakushyam etc !!! Now that nirmal finished his studies, we moved to Florida and the life is luxurious. But now recollecting the memories of those days, that life was real wonderful.

I used to make a spicy tuna curry with ˜kanthari mulaku™ which was available in Columbia. It was Nirmal’s favorite. But now I forgot how to make the original recipe, as I don’t keep notes. Now being in the costal state we get very fresh catch from the Atlantic Ocean and canned Tuna became an Alien!!!! After a very long time I wanted to eat tuna again and I prepared a tuna fry last week. This Tuna fry is so simple to make that if you have the ingredients on hand, you can have a tasty and SPICY tuna fry in less than 15 min. Imagine having surprise guests at home and being able to wave your magic wand and surprise them with a feast.

THINGS U NEED:
  • Tuna (starkist solid white albacore in water- 12 oz) - 1 can
  • Onion - 1
  • Tomato 1/2
  • Green chillies- 4-5
  • Ginger -1/2 tsp
  • Garlic-2
  • Ginger& garlic paste-1/2 tsp
  • Coconut grated - 1/4 cup
  • Chilli powder - 2 tsp
  • Coriander powder - 1 tsp
  • Fenugreek powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves - 1 spring
  • Oil - 4 tsp
  • Mustad seeds - 1 tsp
METHOD:
  • Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add thinly sliced onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and ginger& garlic paste one by one and fry. When the onions starts turning color, add all powdered ingredients and fry for 1 minute. Then add the chopped tomatoes and stir well. Open the can and put the tuna in to the pan including the water with salt, cover the pan and cook until the water is evaporated. Now add the grated coconut and curry leaves to that and fry till done.
Posted Image

NOTES:
  • Replace the onion with shallots for better taste.
  • Adjust the chili powder according to individual preferences.

#3 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

Posted Image

I have successfully survived 4 months with my daughter, Nanditha and though she doesn’t seem to be a big fan of my cooking (she’s an Enfamil fan), she likes to stare at our mouth when we are eating. But Nirmal enjoys traditional Indian cooking, especially vegetarian dishes.Since he is traveling a lot, weekends are special for us and so this week I decided to make a vegetable Kurma for him.

The Indian KURMA is probably one of the oldest side dishes concocted!!! You take some carrots, potato, beans, green peas etc add some masala and lo…you have a side dish that you can eat with almost any tiffin item including APPAM !! Well, I use the exclamation mark with appam b’coz appam has been long associated with stew and so it has been difficult for me to even convince my mother that appam with kurma is not the same as an inter-caste marriage!!!

The whole idea of having appam with kurma is to have something spicy in comparison to the more bland stew combination. But I promise you that this dish is no where close in spiciness to any of my other posts and so if you have ever fled my page earlier wary of all the spice in the cuisine â€" This, YOU WILL LOVE.
THINGS U NEED:
  • Vegetables (carrot, beans,couliflower,green peas,potato) - 2 cups
  • Onion - 1 big
  • Tomato- 1 big
  • Green chilies -5
  • Ginger -1" piece
  • Ginger garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
  • Bay leaf -1
  • Oil -2 tablespoon
  • Mustard seeds -1 teaspoon
  • chilli powder- 1 1/2teaspoon
  • Coriander powder 1 1/2 teaspoon( add more or less)
  • Garam masala - 1 teaspoon (preparation link)
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Coconut milk 1/4 cups
  • Salt to taste
TO GRIND:
  • Coconut - 1/2 cup
  • Cashew nuts - one handful (about 10)
  • Poppy seeds -1/2 teaspoon
  • Fennel seeds 1/4 teaspoon
  • Green chillies - 4
METHOD:
  • In a thick bottom vessel, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add bay leaf, onions , green chillies , ginger and ginger garlic paste one by one and fry. Onion should not turn brown color. add the powdered ingredients and fry for few mins. Put the vegetables in this along with the coconut milk ,salt and enough water and cook. When it is half way through add the finely grinded paste (refer TO GRIND ) and choped tomato . Let it cook until done. Add a few curry leaves and coriander leaves at the end for a better aroma and taste !!
NOTES:
U can use the frozen vegetables that are cleaned and cut available in the grocery stores . U can serve this kurma with almost everything!!

Posted Image

#4 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:34 PM

Posted Image
This last Saturday we decided to eat out and we took my mom to a South Indian restaurant. Tired of the standardized Indian menu…the menu here was a big relief. It had Alapuzha fish curry, madras chicken, karimeen fry etc..etc. My mom was impressed and so we were planning on what to order even as Nirmal was staring at the prices on the menu !!!!
Nirmal being a big shrimp lover, ordered the madras shrimp masala and me and my mom order kari meen fry and alapuzha fish curry. The waiter promised to make the dishes spicy for us. So even before the cook had a chance to get his stove ready we started to talk about how great a find this restaurant was and I was explaining to my mother that since they had a malayalee cook, the taste should be close to what we have in kerala !!!! â€" It took me 20min to realize that I had spoken a little too fast.
The biggest disappointment was the madras shrimp masala. The dish was made from tiger shrimp and had these huge chunks of shrimps fried in a mix of onions, tomatoes, lot of masala and coconut milk. It was no where close to the kerala taste that we had expected and no where close to being spicy.
So in this recipe I would like to introduce to you the ‘Chemmeen Peera’(spicy shrimp with coconut mix) . It is a blend of the authentic Kerala taste, no masala and the necessary spice you can easily concoct this dish. Since it has no masala in it, the taste of shrimp will linger longer in your taste buds and if you can’t win your husband over with this â€" then there is no saying how else you can win !!!

THINGS U NEED:
  • shrimp - 1 lb
  • coconut grated - one half
  • green chillies - 6
  • small onions (shallot) - 10-15
  • ginger - 1 inch peice
  • curry leaves - 2 springs
  • chilli powder - 3 tbs
  • turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • coconut oil - 3 tsp
  • salt to taste
Posted Image
METHOD:
  • Clean the shrimp. Cut the shrimp into small bite size peices. Cut the oninons into very thin slices. chope the green chillies and ginger.put together all the ingredients in a bowl . Mix well this with 2 tsp of coconut oil.transfer this mix into a vessel and add just 1/2 cup of water.U don't need to add much water since the shrimp has a better moisture content.Cover the vessal with a lid and cook until done and all the water is evoparated.aprox time 20 mins. when its done remove from fire and add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil and few curry leaves..
TIPS:
  • The shrimp that we get in india is smaller in size and has a better taste than what we get here in U.S. To get all the masala into the shrimp, cut it into small bite sizes.
  • I f u r not a big fan of spicy food, u can reduce the chilli powder to 2 tbs or even 1 tbs..but this perticular receipe need to be spicy to taste good!!

#5 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image

My daughter just turned 3months last week and trust me when I say she keeps me busy !!! She really does. So between feeding her, changing diapers and cooking lunch for my husband and mom it has been a HECTIC week. But talking about my first receipe - my daughter has this habit of stretching herself after the feeding. Her way of saying, I have worked too hard; I am exhausted and am ready to sleep - get my bed ready !!!! Anyway, my husband makes fun of her saying that she looks like a 'Uricha Kozhi' (naked chicken) when she does those stretches. And she really does - with her hands up in the air and legs tucked close to the stomach she closely resembles one.
So we were making fun of her one day and I started telling my mom how I bake a whole chicken for her Son-in-law and how much he loved it. I was hoping to get my mother excited with the talk about all the masala that went into it but instead my husband got excited. It had been long since I had baked one for him and so I agreed to make him the Spicy Roasted Chicken this week. The best thing about this receipe is that it fires up a party and whether you are hosting a party with drinks or a regular dinner party you will have your guests scrambling for more till the chicken is licked to its bones. And plating a whole chicken rather than pieces of it is like watching a catwalk and admiring a dress rather than just picking a dress from a retail shop. You will have to cook it to believe me !!

Things U Need:
Whole chicken
To Marinate
  • chilli powder- 3 table spoon
  • coriander powder- 3 table spoon
  • ginger garlic paste - 3 table spoon
  • turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
  • garam masala - 1 teaspoon
  • meat masala - 2 teaspoon
  • fennal seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • lemon juice from one lemon
  • butter 1/4 stick
  • salt to taste
To Bake :
  • onion
  • butter1/4 stick
Marination :
Clean the chicken - wash thoroughly with water and pat dry with paper towel (else the masala would not stick to the meat), remove the skin carefully. If u like u can use the chicken with the skin too. I wouldn't recommend it though. Mix all the ingredients (refer 'To Marinate' section) into a paste. Rub the paste over the chicken throughly and keep it in the fridge for atleast 5 hrs. Normaly I marinate the chicken in the morning and bake it in the evening.

Posted ImageTo Bake :
  • Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the chicken in a oven proof dish. Cover it with aluminium foil and bake it for 30 mins on one side . Take the dish out . Flip the chicken over ,cover it again with the foil and bake the other side for another 30 mins. After 30 mins remove the foil and put the sliced onion and butter chunks over the chicken and bake it for another 45 mins. Take it out when the onions are rosted and mixed well with the masala. The chicken will be dark brown in color and will have a nice aroma from the masalas and the rosted onion.
TIP:
  • I use homemade garam-masala instead of buying it at the grocery stores. Roast 3tbs of fennel seeds, 3tbs of cinnamon sticks, 10 cloves, 10 cardomoms and 1tsp of black pepper-corns together. Powder the mixture and store it in a air-tight jar. I find the homemade masala has a better aroma than the brought-out ones. Try and let me know.
NOTE :
  • The baking time is 2 hrs. it might vary according to the size of the chicken and the diffrent type of ovens. I know some of u cooks might think 2 hrs is a little long. But trust me, I have tested this recipe so many times and the outcome is awesome. The chicken will be roasted well and will be too spicy and hot. So if u are weak at heart then beware of the spice !!!

#6 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Curried Beef and Rice

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless stew beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
  • salt and pepper
  • flour
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons oil
  • 3/4 cup hot water
  • 1 cup rice, cooked according to package directions
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento
  • chopped parsley, optional
<H3 id=rP>Preparation:</H3>Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; roll in flour. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown beef, turning to brown all sides. Add the hot water and bring to a boil. Cover tightly and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until tender. Meanwhile prepare rice according to package directions. Stir in curry powder and pimiento to taste. Toss rice with the meat; taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with parsley just before serving, if desired.
Serves 4

#7 Nishaagandhi

Nishaagandhi

Queen of flowers

• Star of Stars
  • 33,368 posts
Professional

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

danks darlingggg :hug:

Users Awards

#8 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

Beef and Noodle Casserole

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds lean round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes or equivalent base or granules
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 8 ounces medium noodles
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked green beans
  • 3 medium tomatoes, cut in wedges
  • dash sugar, if desired
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, optional
Preparation: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high; add beef cubes and brown quickly. Stir in water, bouillon or base, 1 teaspoon salt, cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and lemon juice. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until beef is tender. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Place noodles in a buttered 2 1/2 to 3-quart baking dish. Spoon cooked green beans around the edge of baking dish. Spoon beef mixture into the middle, then pour juices over all. Arrange tomato wedges over the green beans then sprinkle with a little sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover tightly and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.

#9 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

Beef and Mushrooms With Sour Cream Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds sirloin, cut into thin strips
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 6 to 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
  • 1 medium onion, halved, sliced thinly
  • 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine, such as pinot noir or Burgundy
  • 8 ounces noodles
  • freshly chopped parsley
  • 1 cup sour cream blended with 2 tablespoons flour
Preparation:Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Toss beef with flour and salt and pepper in a food storage bag; take beef out and put in the hot oil. Stir, cooking until lightly browned. Add sliced onion and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.

Add the beef broth and wine. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until beef is tender. Meanwhile, cook noodles, following package directions. Drain and keep warm. To the beef mixture add sour cream and flour mixture; stir, cooking, until hot. Add noodles and heat through.
Serves 4 to 6.

#10 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

Korean Beef Short Rib Stew (Galbi Jjim)

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
  • 2 pounds Korean-style short ribs (beef chuck flanken), cut into 3-inch segments
  • 4 cups water
  • 6 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 carrots, cut into chunks
  • 2 small potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1 tablespoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil
  • 6 chestnuts, peeled (optional)
  • 6 dates, pitted (optional)
  • sliced green onion

DIRECTIONS
  • Cover the ribs with cold water, refrigerate, and soak for 1 hour. Drain the ribs, place in a saucepan with 4 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Cook the ribs for 10 minutes, drain, and reserve 2 cups of liquid. Place the ribs and the reserved liquid in a large pot.
  • Mix together the soy sauce, garlic, onion, rice wine, and brown sugar in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Pour the mixture over the ribs and broth. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
  • Mix in the carrots, potatoes, shiitake mushrooms, corn syrup, sesame oil, chestnuts, and dates, and simmer until the meat and vegetables are very tender, about 1 more hour.
  • Remove the beef and vegetables to a serving dish, and reduce the liquid in the pot to make a thickened gravy. Pour the sauce over the ribs and vegetables, sprinkle with sliced green onion, and serve.

#11 Nishaagandhi

Nishaagandhi

Queen of flowers

• Star of Stars
  • 33,368 posts
Professional

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

galbi jjim :hug:

Users Awards

#12 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

World's Best Lasagna
Posted Image

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
  • 3/4 pound lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
  • 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 12 lasagna noodles
  • 16 ounces ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
  • In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  • Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  • To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

#13 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

Serving 4 adults

Ingredients
Beef - 1 kg
Coconut - 1/2

For grinding:
Ginger -1 1/2" piece
Green chillies(big) - 6 nos
Onions(sliced lengthwise) - 2 nos
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Curry leaves
Red Chilli Powder - 3/4 tsp

For seasoning:
Lots of small red onions(Kunjulli)
Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin(Jeerakam) powder - 1 tsp
Tomato(finely chopped) - 1 no

Preparation Method

1)Cut beef into small cubes.

2)Marinate beef in the above ground masala for 15-20 minutes.

3)Put beef with the masala in cooker. Don`t add water. Keep cooker on slow flame for 5-7 minutes, then into full flame. Keep for 15-20 minutes after one whistle.

4)Chop coconut into small pieces.

5)Add it after beef has been cooked and keep cooker for 1 more whistle.

6)Fry coarsely ground small red onions and garlic.

7)Add the powdered masalas.

8)Add chopped tomato.

9)Add meat and mix well. Let it simmer for a few minutes.

:- One soup cube added to the dish will give it that extra flavour

#14 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Ingredients
Beef preferably weal - 1 kg
Shredded onions - 100 gm
Green chilies(split) - 5 nos
Ginger - 25 gm
Garlic(chopped) - 25 gm
Tomatoes - 2 nos
(chopped)
Bay leaves(Karuga/Vazhana ela) - 3 nos
Cinnamom(Karugapatta) - 1" piece
Cardamom(Elakka) - 5 nos
Cloves(Grambu) - 4 nos
Fennel(Perum Jeerakam) - 2 tsp
Black pepper seeds - 10 nos
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Coconut oil - 1 cup
Fresh coconut half sliced into small pieces called `kotthu`
Curry leaves - 4 stems
Lemon juice - 1/4 lemon
Salt - As reqd
Mustard seeds - A pinch
Powdered black pepper - 1 tsp

Preparation Method
1)Prepare `GHARA MASALA` by grinding together bay leaves, cinnamom, cardamom, cloves, black pepper seeds and fennel.

2)Cook the beef with all the other ingredients including `ghara masala` in water.

3)Add salt and continue cooking on low heat until almost dry but cooked. Set this aside.

4)Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and add a pinch of mustard seeds and allow them to break in the hot oil.

5)Add more chopped onions and saute` till brown.

6)Add curry leaves and coconut `kothu` and saute` till brown.

7)Add the previously prepared beef and powdered black pepper.

8)Stir in gentle heat until dark.

#15 Sweety

Sweety

Ammumma of PP

• Premium Member
  • 7,753 posts
Professional

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

Tuna kovaykka peera
Posted Image

Ingredients:-

Tuna - 1 can
Kovakka (split into 4 pieces) - 1/4 kg
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Shallots chopped - 1/4 cup
Green chilli chopped - 1tsp
Chilli flakes - 1 tsp
Ginger chopped - 2tsp
Kudampuli (fish tamarind) - 2 pieces
mustard seeds
salt to taste
oil
curry leaves

Method:
1. Heat oil in a pan and put mustard seeds
2. When it starts to splutter add chopped shallots,green chillies,ginger and saute' till they are soft
3. When they have a flavour add Tuna,Kovakka ,Grated coconut ,Kudampuli and chilli flakes and mix it well
4. Add 1/4 cup water , salt and curry leaves and cook in a medium flame till it is dry...
Serve with Rice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users